A Himalayan Woodland Garden.
Brief history of Cluny House Gardens - Cluny House Gardens was started in the 1950's by Bobby and Betty Masterton who had a particular interest in Himalayan plants, which the local conditions were perfect for. There are two magnificent 150 year old Wellingtonias, one of them is Britain's widest conifer, with a girth of over 11 metres.
Many of the seeds planted at Cluny House Gardens by the Mastertons, have grown into large trees, such as the Tibetan cherry, notable for its mahogany peeling bark, there are also perennials that flourish here including lilies (including some over 4m high) and Meconopsis (blue poppy).
Since 1987 Cluny House Gardens has been very successfully looked after and developed further by their daughter Wendy and her husband John Mattingley.
Today Cluny House Gardens is a 6 acre Himalayan woodland garden, on a hillside overlooking the beautiful Strathtay valley. The garden's climate and soil are ideal for growing Primulas, Meconopsis, Trilliums, Rhododendrons, Lilies and many species of trees and shrubs.
Cluny House Gardens has its own resident population of red squirrels, always a great hit with visitors. The Red Squirrels are fed around 9am each morning, the best time to see them and again in the evening! Donations are welcome, these go towards the red squirrels and the wild bird feed.
Cluny House Gardens have Plants and seeds for sale, which along with sales of garden postcards and the entrance fee go towards helping to keep the garden open.
Cluny House Gardens opening times:
20th February to 31st October 10am - 6pm - Adults £5/adult, £1/child 5 to 16, under age 5 free. These payments are crucial in allowing the gardens to remain open to the public.
1 November to 12 February visitors are welcome, all you are asked is to make a donation towards the red squirrel and bird food.